Making cakes with courgette and sweetener in the past has been a clear sign of me trying to lose weight. I’ve attempted to have my cake and eat it (a strange phrase I’ve always thought, what’s the point in having a cake if you can’t eat it?) However, this time, it’s about portion control. Not kidding myself that because I didn’t use sugar and it has courgette in it, it is therefore an excuse to eat to my heart’s content. However, no-one else needs to know that the cake has courgette in it. Especially not the children.
I adapted this recipe to make this today. It is a good case of, if it isn’t in the house then I can’t eat it. I don’t have any caster sugar in the house, so I had to use sweetener instead. I present… The Don’t Tell The Children Chocolate Courgette Cake!
- Cream the marg, oil and sweetener
- Add the eggs, milk and vinegar and mix until really well mixed together
- Add flour and cocoa and mix some more
- If you know that bits of green will bother those who are eating it, peel the courgettes (I did), then grate really finely and mix in.
- Put the mixture into a large roaster (it’s actually a massive recipe, it could be halved, or split into two containers if you wanted).
- Sprinkle the ground walnuts and chocolate chips over the top.
- Cook in the oven at about 180°C for 30 minutes or so, until it is done.
A note for Americans. Courgette is the English for Zucchini. (I’m bilingual, dontcha know?)